This dish is typical of the Catalan region of Spain and is used as a Lenten dish. It is a stand alone meal. It makes a delicious sauce perfect for dipping with crusty French bread. The recipe makes 4 servings.
- 1 cup garbanzo beans
- 2 cloves of garlic
- ½ a medium onion, cut in two
- 1 bay leaf
- 1 Tbs. olive oil
- 1 medium tomato, peeled and diced
- ½ a medium onion, diced
- 2 cloves garlic, sliced thin
- ¼ tsp saffron
- ¼ tsp cumin seeds
- 1 tsp salt
- 1 ½ lb spinach, washed & drained
Directions: Attention! The recipe requires prior attention
- Soak the garbanzos in 2 cups of water for 8 hrs. You will have 2 cups of garbanzo beans ready to cook. Rinse in several waters.
- Cover the beans with water plus an inch or so. Add ½ an onion cut into quarters, 2 cloves garlic and the bay leaf.
- Bring the beans to a boil then immediately reduce the heat to low and cook for about an hour, until the beans are tender.
- When the beans are cooked, removed the onion, garlic, and bay leaf.
- Using a food processor, mash about 1/3 of the beans using some of the cooking water until you have a smooth, creamy mixture.
- In a large skillet or wok warm the olive oil over medium heat and add the diced onions, garlic, tomatoes, saffron, cumin seeds, and salt.
- Cook the mixture for 2-3 minutes until the onions are translucent.
- Add the garbanzo beans and stir to blend.
- Add the spinach and immediately cover the wok/skillet
- Cook, covered, about 4-5 minutes until the spinach is wilted through but not mushy.
- Uncover the wok or skillet and stir the spinach into the garbanzo mixture. If the spinach is unevenly cooked, allow to cook a little bit more.
Note: The garbanzo beans can be cooked up to two days ahead of time. If cooking ahead,store with the cooking liquid and wait until you are ready to make the dish to cream the garbanzos as per the recipe