4 bone-in chicken breasts
salt and ground black pepper
1 1/2 pounds red potatoes (4-5 medium) cut into 1-inch wedges
2 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
1 garlic clove
1 teaspoon minced fresh thyme
pinch red pepper flakes
1. Heat oven: Adjust oven rack to lowest position and heat oven to 450F.
2. Season and brown skin side of chicken: Pat chicken dry with paper towels and season with salt and pepper. Heat 1 tablespoon of oil in 12-inch nonstick skillet over medium-high heat until just smoking. Brown chicken well on skin side, about 5 minutes. While chicken browning, cut potatoes.
3. Microwave potatoes: Meanwhile, toss potatoes with 1 tablespoon of oil, 1/2 teaspoon salt, and 1/4 teaspoon pepper in a microwave safe bowl. Cover tightly with plastic wrap. Microwave on high until potatoes begin to soften, for 5-7 minutes, shaking bowl (without removing plastic) to toss potatoes halfway through.
4. Bake chicken: Transfer chicken skin side up to baking dish and bake until thickest part registers 160 degrees on instant read thermometer, 15-20 minutes.
5. Brown potatoes: While chicken bakes, pour off any grease in skillet, add 1 tablespoon oil, and return to medium heat until shimmering. Drain microwaved potatoes, then add to skillet and cook, stirring occasionally, until golden brown and tender, about 10 minutes.
6. Make drizzling oil: Whisk remaining 3 tablespoons oil, lemon juice, garlic, thyme, and red pepper flakes together. Drizzle over chicken and potatoes before serving.