2 3/4 cups plus 1 tablespoon unbleached all-purpose flour
1 teaspoon baking soda
1/2 lb (1 cup) unsalted butter, softened at room temperature
1 cup granulated sugar
1 cup very firmly packed light brown sugar
2 large eggs
1 lb (1 3/4 cups) smooth peanut putter
1/4 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
1/2 cup salted peanuts, chopped
1. Position a rack in the center of the oven and heat oven to 350F.
2. Sift together the flour and baking soda.
3. In a separate bowl, beat the butter, sugar, and brown sugar on medium speed until light and fluffy, 4-5 minutes. Scrape the bowl with a rubber spatula.
4. Beat in the eggs until thoroughly combined, 1-2 minutes. Scrape the bowl again.
5. Beat in the peanut butter and vanilla until blended, about one minute. Scrape the bowl again.
6. With the mixer on low speed, slowly add the flour until incorporated, about 30 seconds. Mix in the peanuts.
7. Drop the dough by rounded tablespoonfuls about 3 inches apart on ungreased cookie sheet and flatted each with palm of your hand. Using the tines of a table fork, make a criss-cross pattern on top of each cookie. Bake until the cookies are golden brown on the edges and slightly soft in the center, 15-18 minutes. Let the cookies cool on the sheet for one minute before transferring them to a cooling rack.