This dish is really easy and quick and has a warm hearty taste.
- 1¼ lbs. boneless, skinless chicken breast halves, trimmed and sliced ¼ inch thick
- 1½ teaspoons chili powder
- ½ teaspoon ground cumin
- Kosher salt and freshly group black pepper
- ¼ cup all-purpose flour
- 3½ Tablespoons unsalted butter
- 1½ cups fresh or thawed frozen corn kernels
- 1 medium jalapeno, seeded and thinly sliced
- 1 large clove garlic, minced
- 2-3 medium limes, 1 or 2 juiced to yield 3 Tablespoons and 1 cut into wedges
- 1 Tablespoon chopped fresh oregano
- ½-1 cup grated sharp cheddar cheese
- ½ cup chopped cilantro
- Sour cream
- In a medium-size bowl, mix the chili powder, cumin, ¾ t. salt and ½ t. pepper.
- Toss the chicken with the spices. After the chicken has been fully coated with spices, toss flour into bowl and mix around with your hands to fully coat the chicken with flour.
- Melt 2 ½ T. of the butter in a 12-inch ovenproof skillet (preferably cast iron) over medium-high heat. Add the chicken and cook, stirring occasionally, until browned, about 5 minutes. Transfer chicken to a plate.
- Add the remaining 1 T. butter, the corn, jalapeno, garlic and ½ t. salt. Cook, stirring, until the corn begins to brown lightly, about 5 minutes.
- Add the chicken, lime juice, oregano and ½ cup water. Cook, stirring, until the chicken is just cooked through, about 2 minutes. Sprinkle with the cheese and transfer the skillet to the broiler.
- Broil the skillet until the cheese melts and browns on top, about 3 minutes. Serve with lime wedges, cilantro and sour cream.
Prep time: 10 minutes
Cooking time: 15 minutes
Additional time: 3 minutes in broiler
Oven Temperature: broiler, high