From Gourmet, July 2007, this quick and easy recipe makes one small batch. The cornmeal gives these sandies a satisfying crunch.
- 2/3 cup all-purpose flour
- ¼ cup yellow cornmeal
- 2 tablespoons cornstarch
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- ½ cup unsalted butter, pliable
- 1/3 cup confectioners sugar
- ½ teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- 2 teaspoon grated lemon zest
- Sugar for sprinkling
- The butter should be pliable, not straight out of the refrigerator.
- Whisk together flour, cornmeal, cornstarch, and salt and set aside.
- Blend butter, confectioners sugar, vanilla, and zest in a food processor until creamy, about 30 seconds.
- Add the flour mixture and pulse a few times until the dough just begins to come together.
- Gather dough in a ball, place on a plate and chill in refrigerator for about 20 minutes.
Pre-heat oven too 350 degrees with rack in middle of oven.
Prepare a large ungreased baking sheet.
- Roll out dough on a well-floured surface ¼” thick. Cut out as many cookies as possible with a 2”cookie cutter.
- Re-use the scraps and cut out more round. There should be about 18 cookies.
- Sprinkle tops of cookies with granulated sugar.
- Bake until undersides are pale golden, about 12-14 minutes.