These cookies have no eggs and count on cornstarch to provide lightness.!
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/3 cup firmly packed brown sugar
- 2 ½ tablespoon cornstarch
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- ½ cup unsalted butter, chilled
- ¾ tsp. vanilla extract
- ½ cup pecans
- 1/3 cup Heath Bits
- ¼ cup sugar, for sprinkling
Pre-heat oven to 350 degrees and prepare 2 baking sheets with parchment paper
- Combine the flour, brown sugar, cornstarch and salt in a food processor. Process until well mixed.
- Cut the butter into ½” pieces and add along with the vanilla.
- Pulse until the mixture resembles a fine meal.
- Add pecans and process until finely chopped.
- Add the toffee and process until just mixed in.
- Gather the mixture into a flat disk and roll between two sheets of waxed paper 3/16” thick.
- Using a decorative cutter, cut out cookies and place about ½” apart on baking sheets
- Sprinkle cookies generously with sugar.
- Bake until just beginning to color, about 13 minutes, less if cookies are 1/8” thick.
- Transfer baking sheet to cooling rack and allow to cool for about 5 minutes.
- Transfer the cookies to the rack to cool completely.
- Store in an airtight container at room temperature for up to 5 days.
Shortbread cookie dough is brittle, so using a spatula is a nifty trick in transferring them to the baking sheet.