These cookies are rather chewy and soft. Use plain shapes such as hearts or pumpkins. Stay away from intricate cutters. They have no baking powder! And, they don’t take a lot of time to make.
- ½ cup unsalted butter
- 2 cups of flour
- ¼ cup milk
- 1 egg
- ¾ cups sugar
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- ¼ teaspoon almond extract
Pre-heat oven to 350 degrees
- Put the shorting, flour, and sugar in the food processor and process until the mixture is the consistency of corn meal.
- Add the egg and milk and process until it forms a ball.
- Divide the dough into two balls and chill in the refrigerator. (clean up processor and put things away while dough is chilling!)
- Sprinkle the rolling surface with flour and roll the dough into one-eighth-inch thickness.
- Cut with a cookie cutter.
- Sprinkle cookies with purchased sprinkles.
- Bake on an ungreased baking sheet 8 to 10 min. until the cookies are lightly browned at the edges.
- Allow to cool on the pan for about a minute as cookies need to harden a little and if removed too quickly they might break.
Yield: 3 dozen 2” cookies.