From Gourmet, February 1997, these fast to make fun cookies are crunchy due to the cornmeal, but are melt-in-your-mouth soft wafers rather than crisp.
- ¾ cup plus all-purpose flour
- ½ cup cornmeal
- ½ teaspoon baking powder
- ½ teaspoon salt
- ½ cup unsalted butter, soft
- 3/ 4 cup sugar
- 1 large egg
- ¼ cup chopped dried apricots
- 2 tablespoons finely chopped fresh sage leaves
Pre-heat oven to 350 degrees & prepare 2 parchment lined baking sheets
- Mix the flour, cornmeal, baking powder & salt & set aside.
- Whisk together the butter, sugar, and egg until well combined.
- Add the chopped apricots and sage and mix well.
- Drop by tablespoons 2 inches apart on the baking sheets. Alternatively, drop by teaspoons 1 inch apart.
- Bake for 10-12 minutes until cookies are golden.
- Cool cookies on the pan for 2-3 minutes before transferring to rack to cool. Cookies spread quite a bit and will be soft when right out of the oven.
Yield: 18 3”cookies if dropped by tablespoons, about 4 dozen if by teaspoon.