Store cookies between waxed paper in an airtight container for a couple of weeks to ripen.
- 16 oz candied fruit
- ¼ cup sherry*
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- ¼ teaspoon baking soda
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- ½ teaspoon cinnamon
- ¼ teaspoon nutmeg
- ¼ teaspoon. ground cloves
- ½ cup butter
- ½ cup sugar
- 1 egg
- 1 cup pecans
*The sherry can be substituted for bourbon, rum, sweet dessert wine. Pour it over the fruit while the fruit is still in the container and allow it to marinate for several hours. Drain before using.
Pre-heat oven to 375 degrees and line 2 baking sheets with parchment paper
- Sift the flour, baking powder, soda, salt, and spices onto a bowl and set aside.
- In a large bowl, cream butter and sugar until light and fluffy.
- Add egg beat for a minute to blend, scraping down sides.
- Add dry ingredients in two additions scraping down the dough from the sides.
- Mix in the candied fruit and pecans.
- Drop by rounded teaspoons onto the prepared baking sheets and bake on the lower third of the oven for about 14 minutes.
Yield: About 3 dozen cookies