This is the basic oatmeal cookie recipe on the back of the Quaker Oats box.
- 1 ½ cups all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- ½ teaspoon salt (optional)
- 3 cups Quaker Oats
- 1 cup butter, softened
- 1 cup firmly packed brown sugar
- ½ cup granulated sugar
- 2 eggs
- 1 tsp. vanilla extract
- 1 cup raisins
Pre-heat oven to 350 degrees and prepare a baking sheet with parchment paper
- Mix flour, soda, salt, and cinnamon into bowl. (If using added spices, add them to this mixture)
- Measure out 3 cups oatmeal.
- In a larger mixing bowl, beat together butter and sugar until light and fluffy.
- Beat in eggs and vanilla.
- Add flour mixture and blend well.
- Add oatmeal and blend with wooden spoon. Use spatula to scrape batter into the blended mixture.
- Add raisins and mix well.
- Drop by rounded teaspoons onto the baking sheet.
- Allow to remain on the baking sheet for 1 or 2 minutes until set. Remove onto cooking rack.
Variations: Add ¼ tsp. nutmeg and ¼ tsp. cloves along with the cinnamon. Add up to a cup of chopped nuts, or semi-sweet chocolate, butterscotch, or peanut butter flavored pieces. Change out the raisins for chopped dried apricots, dates, candied fruit, dried cranberries or cherries. Mix in shredded or flaked coconut. You can mix and match things to create your own unique recipe.