From Two Sisters Inn, a bed and breakfast in Manitou Springs, Colorado.
- 1 ½ cups all-purpose flour
- ¼ teaspoon baking soda
- ½ teaspoon. baking powder
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- 2 teaspoon garam masala
- ½ cup butter
- cup brown sugar
- 1 egg
- 1 tsp. vanilla extract
- optional: ¾ chopped walnuts, toasted
- Sift the flour, soda, baking powder, salt, and curry powder into a bowl and set aside.
- Cream butter and brown sugar until light and fluffy.
- Add egg and vanilla and mix well.
- Add dry ingredients and mix well scraping down the dough with a spatula and add the nuts.
- Divide the dough in two and form two logs about 1 ½ inches in diameter. Wrap each in plastic wrap and place in freezer.
Pre-heat oven to 350 degrees and prepare a baking sheet with parchment paper
- Slice into rounds ¼” thick while still frozen and place on prepared baking sheets.
- Bake for about 12-14 minutes, until golden.
- Let cool on the baking sheet for a couple of minutes and then remove to racks to cool.
Yield: 2 dozen
Note: Commercially prepared curry powder can be substituted for Garam masala