This recipe is adapted from Epicurious.com. It really hit the spot on a yet-another-snow-storm day and tasted just like we were back in Paris…
- 2 Tablespoons butter
- 2 Tablespoons flour
- 1 cup skim milk
- Pinch of nutmeg
- 1 bay leaf
- Salt & pepper to taste
- 4 slices bread
- ¼ lb thinly sliced Black Forest ham
- 5 oz Gruyere cheese, shredded and divided in 1/2
- 1 Tablespoon butter
- Melt 2 tablespoons butter in a small saucepan over medium heat. Add flour and stir for 1 minute. Gradually whisk in milk. Add nutmeg and bay leaf. Increase heat to medium-high and boil until sauce thickens, whisking constantly, about 2 minutes. Season with salt and pepper to taste.
- Preheat boiler.
- Place 2 slices of bread on a work surface. Top each half with ½ of the ham and sprinkle ½ of the cheese over the ham. Top each with other slice of bread.
- Heat a heavy large skillet over medium heat. Brush each side of each sandwich with the butter and place on the heated skillet. Cook until golden on each side.
- Transfer sandwiches to a small baking dish. Spoon sauce, then the remaining grated cheese over the sandwiches. Broil until cheese begins to brown, about 2 minutes.
Prep time: 10 minutes
Cook time: 5 minutes
Cooking Temp: Broil