This recipe for white bread makes one loaf. Easy to make, it makes great toast.
- ½ cup tap water as hot as can be
- 1 packet active dry yeast (2 ½ oz)
- 3 cups all-purpose flour
- ½ cups milk (your choice)
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- 1 ¼ teaspoons salt
- * 1 cup chopped walnuts
- In a large bowl, combine the hot water and yeast and proof.
- Add the rest of the ingredients and stir until the dough starts to leave the sides of bowl.
- Transfer the dough to a lightly greased surface, oil your hands, and knead it for 6-8 minutes, or until it begins to become smooth and supple.
- Transfer the dough to a lightly greased bowl, turn to coat, and cover with a damp kitchen towel.
- Allow to double in bulk, about 1 hour.
- Transfer the dough to a lightly oiled surface and shape it into an 8 inch log.
- Place the log in a lightly greased 8 ½ x 4 ½ inch loaf pan.
- Cover pan loosely and allow to bread to rise until it crests the top of the pan for 1 inch.
Preheat oven to 350 degrees
Bake until it is golden brown, about 35 minutes. Remove from pan and cool on rack.
* The addition of walnuts is optional. Chop and toast the walnuts, allow to cool, and then add them along with the rest of the ingredients. It makes great toast!