We have been receiving Bon appetite since Gourmet stopped its publication and after perusing the issue usually try a recipe or two. Last summer the July issue was the “grilling” issue and several recipes caught our eye. Since we like garam masala, Greek yogurt, eggplant, and kale the following recipe tempted us. I re-wrote it making the sequence of events a little more user-friendly, but other than that, the recipe is as it appeared in the magazine. We made it several times and served it with grilled meat. Jack particularly liked the unusual combination of placing the yogurt mixture under the greens rather than tossing it as if it were a salad dressing.
- ¾ cup plain Greek yogurt
- ½ teaspoon garam masala
- 6 Tablespoons olive oil*
- 1 eggplant
- ¾ teaspoons ground turmeric
- Sea salt
- freshly ground pepper
- 2 large bunches of kale or Swiss chard
- ½ cup fresh mint leaves
Prepare the grill for medium-high heat.
- *The 6 tablespoons of olive oil in the recipe will be added 2 tablespoons at a time to different aspects of the dish…
- Mix the Greek yogurt and garam masala in a small bowl, season with salt & pepper to taste.
- Spoon the mixture onto a platter. Set aside.
- Wash the eggplant and cut into ½ inch rounds.
- Toss the sliced eggplant with the turmeric and 2 tablespoons of olive oil. Season with salt & pepper.
- Toss the kale or chard with 2 tablespoons of olive oil in a large bowl and season with salt & pepper.
- Grill for about 2 minutes. Transfer to the large bowl.
- Grill the eggplant turning several times until tender and charred in spots – about 5-8 minutes.
- Transfer the eggplant onto the bowl with the kale or chard.
- Add the mint leaves, 2 tablespoons of olive oil, and toss to combine.
- Arrange on the platter over the yogurt/garam masala mixture.