This recipe is a knock off of Brussel sprouts we have had at The Bodega, a local Tapas restaurant. I love the sweet-saltiness of it. There are no proportions given in the recipe because it depends on how big the dish is. I usually make a stalk of fresh sprouts, or buy a package of sprouts and use 2-3 pieces of bacon. No need to use oil in the pan as the bacon yields enough fat so that the dish does not burn. – as described in the directions, you can either bake the sprouts in an oven proof dish or simply line a ridged baking sheet with foil. It will save cleanup time
- Brussels sprouts
- Brown sugar
Preheat oven to 400 degrees
- Wash and trim Brussels sprouts. Pat dry.
- Place in an oven proof dish.
- Alternatively, line a baking sheet with foil and continue as described.
- Cut the bacon into strips about ¼” wide. Toss onto the Brussels sprouts.
- Sprinkle brown sugar and salt on the Brussels sprouts.
- Cover the oven proof dish with either aluminum foil, if not using a dish with a cover.
- Place the Brussels sprout mixture in the oven and bake for 45 minutes, covered.
- Remove from the oven, uncover the dish, and allow the mixture to brown. It will take 10-15 minutes. Keep an eye on it.
- If using a foil lined baking sheet...some of the cooked sprouts may stick to the foil, simply scrape it loose. Cooking the sprouts in a foil lined pan cuts down on clean up! (I am lazy and have found ways to cut out clean up time!)