I recently posted a blog entry for a cake using tahini. The question that came up was What else can we make with tahini? as tahini tends to be one of those ingredients one does not necessarily keep on hand.
The only other dish in this blog using tahini is Baba ganoush (click for link), so I thought it would be a good time to include a couple of other things using this ingredient.
One of the simplest salad dressings imaginable (If you have tahini on hand, of course!!!) is tahini salad dressing. For this you will need nothing but tahini, lemon, garlic, and water.
Tahini salad dressing goes well with a kale salad, as in the featured image.
Those simple ingredients make up the dressing. Add salt and pepper, perhaps a teaspoon or two of honey or maple syrup if you want to add a little sweetness – or go a bit more middle eastern or Indian with cumin, coriander, or both. Heat it up with paprika, or smoked Spanish pimentón.
- 1/4- cup tahini
- 2- tablespoons lemon juice
- 2-finely minced garlic cloves
- hot water
- salt & pepper to taste
- teaspoons honey or maple syrup
- paprika, ground cumin, or coriander, pimentón.
- chopped fresh parsley
- Place the tahini in a small bowl and add the lemon juice and the minced garlic
- Stir to blend. The mixture will be very thick. Add the optional ingredients, if using.
- Keep stirring the mixture and add a tablespoon of the hot water at a time until a desired consistency is reached (I usually add about 2 or 3 tablespoons
Note: The salad dressing will keep, refrigerated, about a week. You might need to stir it again when you re-use it.