Quick composed salads are a lunch favorite of mine. This salad is not a “30 minutes or less” – It is a 7 minutes or less!!!
I will explain. I love to cook and we usually eat home cooked meals every day for lunch and dinner. But, I don’t cook twice a day, or even once a day. This idea of planning ahead and using pre-prepared food is catching on as more people who have busy lives and still would love to sit down to a home cooked meal every day opt for various strategies to accomplish it.
One of my strategies is to have several days when I cook and on those days either cook enough for two or three meals and freeze them for later, or to prep or cook some items I will incorporate into a meal in a day or two.
This steak salad is super simple and uses flank steak I had vacuumed packed (recipe on blog). Vacuum packing things like soups, stews and cooked meats, is something I do to either skip cooking some days altogether or to speed up meal preparation.
The cauliflower used in this salad had been roasted when I had the oven on to bake potatoes a few days before. Using the oven for more than one dish, even if it will be eaten a day or two later is a good idea, especially in a hot climate such as Florida where you avoid heating the kitchen with a hot oven.
To make roasted cauliflower:
- Cut the cauliflower in very small pieces so that you end up with a lot of small, feathery florets
- Line a pan with parchment paper (for easy clean up), and sprinkle a tablespoon of olive oil on it spreading all over the pan.
- Spread the cauliflower pieces on the pan and toss them with your hands so that they are lightly covered in oil.
- Place the pan in the middle shelf of a 450 degree oven, and cook for 30 minutes, checking every 10 minutes and stirring the florets.
- Allow to cool, and if using later, place in a covered container packing it lightly and refrigerate up to a week.
Ingredients for the salad:
- Spring mix lettuce
- Roasted cauliflower florets
- Flank steak
If frozen, defrost the flank steak by putting it in the microwave and heating it in 30 second bursts, turning it each time you re-start the microwave. It should be ready to slice in about 2 minutes.
Meanwhile, assemble the salad.
Slice the avocado and add:
Slice the flank steak very thinly
Add the meat to the salad
Add your favorite vinaigrette and serve! Very easy, very quick!