- 1 garlic head, previously roasted
- 8 lbs. roma tomatoes,
- 3 Tbs.olive oil
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 1 cup chopped basil
- Previously roast garlic: Separate garlic head into cloves, discarding the loose papery outer skin but keeping skin intact on cloves. Wrap in a piece of foil crimping seams to seal tightly. Bake at 425 for an hour. Allow to cool, then unwrap the garlic and allow to cool for 6-8 minutes. Peel skins from each clove.
- Peel tomatoes using hot/cold water method: Wash tomatoes and make a cross cut on top. Set a pan of water on the stove and a pan of ice cold water on the counter. When the water is very hot, but not boiling, place tomatoes in the water for1 or 2 minutes, and using a slotted spoon, remove them and place in the ice cold water. Let them stay in the cold water 2-3 minutes, until they are cool enough to handle.
- Coarsely chop the tomatoes. .
- In a large, non reactive pan, heat olive oil over medium high heat until fragrant and sauté the onions until soft but not brown.
- Add the tomatoes, the roasted garlic, and the basil.
- Bring to boil, turn down heat and simmer sauce for 2 hours.
- Can and or freeze the sauce. It should yield 12 cups. If canning, process for 30 minutes in a water bath or 15 minutes using a canning pressure cooker at 11 pounds of pressure..