- 1 cup water
- ¼ tsp salt
- 2/3 cups couscous
- 2 Tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 2 Tablespoons lemon juice
- 2 tsp grated lemon peel
- ½ tsp ground cardamom
- 1 cup cooked garbanzos*
- 1/3 cup chopped pitted dates
- ¼ cup slivered almonds, toasted
- ¼ cup minced cilantro
- 2 Tablespoons minced green onions
- Bring water and salt to boil and add the couscous and stir. Remove from heat and let stand 5 minutes. Fluff with fork and transfer to a large bowl to cool
- Whisk olive oil, lemon juice, lemon peel, and cardamom in a small bowl and drizzle over the couscous.
- Mix in the garbanzo beans, dates, almonds, minced cilantro, and green onions.
- Season with salt & pepper.
- Let stand at room temperature at least 1 hour and up to 2 hours to blend flavors.
Note: *soak 1/2 cup of dry garbanzos overnight. Drain soaking water and cover with new water. Simmer for about 20 minutes. It will yield about 2 cups. Or, alternatively, use canned garbanzos.