Regional versions of caldo verde are served all over Portugal. The soup is made with a dark green cabbage called couve which is not found here. We substitute kale.
- ½ lb chouriço*
- ¼ cup olive oil
- 1 large yellow onion, chopped
- 3 (1 lb) potatoes, peeled & cut in slices
- 2 cloves garlic, finely minced
- 6 cups water
- 2 tsp salt
- ¾ lb kale, shredded
- fresh ground pepper to taste
- olive oil to drizzle
- In a large saucepan over medium heat, warm the oil, add the onions and sauté until tender, about 8 minutes.
- Add the potatoes and garlic and sauté for a few minutes, stirring often.
- Add the water and salt, cover, and reduce the heat to low. Simmer about 20 minutes.
- Mash the potatoes to a purée with a wooden spoon or potato masher.
- Slice the chouriço
- Add the chouriçoand cook over low heat for 5 more minutes.
- Add the kale, stir well, and simmer, uncovered, for 3-5 minutes.
- Ladle the soup into bowl, drizzle each serving with 1 teaspoon olive oil, and serve.
Note:*Chouriço, Portuguese style sausage, is usually available either fresh or dried.