This is a super easy bread to make as there is virtually no kneading and the results are a “professional” looking loaf
- 3 tablespoons butter or canola oil
- ¾ cup water
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 2 & 3/4 cup flour (1 cup then 1 & 3/4 cup) [bread is much better if made with bread flour]
- 2 ½ teaspoons yeast
- 1 egg, beaten
- Optional: 1 egg for the glaze
- In a 2 cup Pyrex container, combine first four ingredients and heat in the microwave oven for 2-3 minutes, until butter is melted.
- Meanwhile combine 1 cup flour and yeast in large bowl.
- Add butter mixture (after stirring well) and egg to flour/yeast. Mix until blended. Now add remaining 1 3/4 cup flour. Mix with wooden spoon and then knead a bit with your hands (it will be firm dough).
- Make into a ball and allow to rest, covered, for 1-1 ½ hours in a warm, dry place.
- After the dough has rested and doubled in bulk, divide it into three equal parts and using a back and forth motion with the palms of your hands, roll the dough on the work surface until you have made a rope about 14″long. Braid the ropes pinching the ends together.
- Place the braided dough onto greased cookie sheet.
- Cover, let it rise for one hour (more if needed).
- Optional: Brush the loaf with the beaten egg for a glossy tan. Sprinkle poppy or sesame seeds on it…
- Then bake at 375 degrees for 20 minutes.