Quick and easy, this shortbread is like a sweet biscuit. Pre-heat the oven while you make the shortbreads. Since they only take 20 minutes to make and we usually serve this as a dessert in the spring, I pop them in the oven just as we sit down to our meal and set the timer to 20 minutes. By meal’s end the shortbreads are done and ready to assemble.
- 2 cups flour
- ¼ cup sugar
- ½ teaspoon salt
- 1 ½ teaspoon cream of tartar
- ¾ teaspoon baking soda
- ½ cup butter
- 1 egg
- 1/3 cup milk
Pre-heat the oven to 425 degrees
- Place dry ingredients into food processor bowl. Add butter cut into ½” dice.
- Process until mixture resembles coarse corn meal.
- Add egg & milk and process until mixture becomes a ball.
- Remove from processor and roll out on a floured surface ½” thick.
- Cut into 6 rounds with 3 ½”cookie cutters.
- Bake for 10-12 minutes.