A deceptively rich tasting cold soup…from July 2007 Gourmet Magazine
- 1 seedless cucumber (about 16 oz)*
- 1 firm-ripe avocado (6-8 oz)
- 2 scallions, coarsely chopped
- ¼ cup fresh mint leaves
- ½ cup well-shaken chilled buttermilk
- 1 ½ cup cold water
*If a seedless cucumber is not available, use 2 regular ones and seed them.
- Cut cucumber into 3 equal pieces, then coarsely chop 2 pieces. Quarter avocado lengthwise, then pit, peel, and coarsely chop one half.
- Blend together chopped cucumber, chopped avocado, scallions, mint, buttermilk, water, and 1 teaspoon salt in a blender until smoother, 1-2 minutes.
- Chill soup, uncovered, 15 minutes.
- Cut remaining cucumber and avocado into 1/4” pieces and stir into soup.
- Season with added salt and pepper.
- If too thick, thin with additional water.