Potato and zucchini soup with mint
From Williams Sonoma Savoring Italy. Perfect for a summer day with mint fresh from the garden, but it you happen to be in Florida with plenty of fresh mint in the winter, go for it!.
- 1 yellow onion, chopped
- 2 Tablespoons olive oil
- 4 cups of vegetable broth
- 2 cups of water
- 3 small potatoes, peeled & diced
- 3 small zucchinis, thinly sliced
- 1 cup small pasta – optional*
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh mint
- grated Parmesan (optional)
*The addition of pasta is optional. Use a very small pasta such as alphabet, or orzo. If using pasta, the option of blending the soup and using it as a cold or hot soup is not practical.
- Add the stock, the water, the potatoes, zucchini salt & pepper and bring to a boil and immediately turn down the heat to a simmer & cook for 20 minutes.
- Add the pasta, bring to a boil, reduce the heat and simmer for an additional 10 minutes.
- Ladle soup into warmed bowls, sprinkle with cheese and serve immediately.
Start out as above, but before putting in the pasta, take it off the stove and blend it either with an immersion blender or with transferring the soup in bathes to a food processor and then back into the pan to reheat if your preference if for hot soup. If it is for a chilled soup, chill in the refrigerator for 2 hrs and up to 8 hrs.