1 (28 oz) can diced tomatoes
2 (15 oz) can beans (mixture of black, pinto, and/or dark red kidney beans), rinsed
2-3 teaspoons minced chipotle chiles in adobe sauce
2 teaspoons sugar
salt and ground black pepper
2 tablespoons vegetable oil
1 onion minced
3 tablespoons chili powder
2 teaspoons ground cumin
3 garlic cloves, minced
1 1/2 cups frozen corn, thawed
2 tablespoons minced fresh cilantro
1. Puree tomatoes: Pulse tomatoes and their juices in food processor until slightly chunky, about 5 pulses.
2. Heat tomatoes with beans: Bring tomatoes, beans, chipotle chili, sugar, and 1/2 teaspoon salt to boil, covered in large saucepan. Reduce heat to simmer and continue to cook until needed in step 5.
3. Saute aromatics: Heat oil in large Dutch oven over medium high heat until shimmering. Add onion, chili powder, cumin, and 1/4 teaspoon salt and cook until softened, about 5 minutes. Stir in garlic and cook until fragrant, about 30 seconds.
4. Combine and simmer: Stir in tomato-bean mixture, scraping up and browned bits. Bring to simmer an dcook until slightly thickened, about 15 minutes.
5. Finish chili: Stir in corn and cilantro and return to brief simmer. Season with salt and pepper to taste. Serve.