Making your own blue cheese salad dressing is easy! When the subject of making blue cheese dressing for a wedge salad came up recently, I researched recipe books and Internet sources. A lot of the recipes called for sour cream, but in the interest of saving a few calories, I used Greek yogurt and came up with the following recipe which was judged by recent house guests to be fine and dandy, so here it is. It stays.
What blue cheese to use? Maytag is a good American blue cheese, but of course, there are many available and it would be what is available at the local market. Blue cheese is usually sold in chunks of 1/4 pound, a full round, or half a round. I chose a 1/4 pound chunk and that was a perfect size for the recipe.
- 1/3 cup mayonnaise
- 1/3 cup plain Greek yogurt
- 1/3 cup buttermilk
- 1 large clove garlic, chopped
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon freshly ground pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon sugar
- 1/4 pound blue cheese, cut into chunks
- Using a 1 cup measuring cup, fill it up to the 1/3 cup mark with mayonnaise.
- Add 1/3 cup of Greek yogurt up to the 2/3 cup mark.
- Add 1/3 cup of buttermilk to the 1 cup mark.
- Using a rubber spatula, remove the three ingredients from the measuring cup and put into a food processor.
- Add the garlic, salt, pepper, and sugar, and process for about a minute.
- Add the blue cheese chunks and process to the desired chunkiness.
- Refrigerate for an hour before using to blend flavors.