This recipe is from Cook’s Country (related to Cook’s Illustrated) and makes for a very hearty caprese salad.
- 8 oz. fresh mozzarella, cut into ½ inch pieces (about 1 cup)
- 3 Tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 2 Tablespoons minced shallot
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- ¼ teaspoon + 1 teaspoon salt (steps 1 &3)
- ¼ teaspoon pepper
- ½ cup fresh basil leaves
- 1 ½ lbs. grape tomatoes, cut in half lengthwise
- 2 hearts of romaine, quartered lengthwise and cut into ½ inch pieces
- ¼ cup pitted kalamata olives, chopped
- 3 Tablespoons red wine vinegar
- Combine mozzarella, olive oil, shallot, garlic, ¼ teaspoon salt and pepper in a medium bowl.
- Coarsely chop half the basil leaves and add to mozzarella mixture; set aside while preparing tomatoes.
- Combine tomatoes and 1 teaspoon salt in a separate bowl; transfer tomatoes to a colander set in the sink and let drain for 15 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Tear remaining basil leaves into ½ inch pieces. Gently toss tomatoes, romaine, olives, vinegar, mozzarella mixture and basil leaves in a large bowl. Season with salt and pepper to taste and serve.
Prep time: 10 minutes
Additional time: 15 minutes