From Gourmet, this coffee-cake makes a pretty presentation because of the stripes
- 2 cups fresh cranberries
- 1 cups granulated sugar
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 tablespoon baking powder
- 3/4 teaspoon salt
- ½ stick unsalted butter, softened
- 2 large eggs
- 1/2 cup whole milk
- Garnish: confectioners sugar
Preheat oven to 350°F.
- Pulse cranberries with 1/2 cup granulated sugar in a food processor until finely chopped (do not purée). Transfer to a sieve and let drain while making batter.
- Sift together flour, baking powder, and salt. Beat together butter and remaining 1/2 cup granulated sugar in a large bowl with an electric mixer at medium-high speed until light and fluffy, about 5 minutes with a standing mixer or about 8 minutes with a handheld.
- Add eggs 1 at a time, beating well after each addition. Reduce speed to low and add flour mixture and milk alternately in batches, beginning and ending with flour and mixing until just incorporated.
- Spread one third of batter evenly in well-buttered loaf pan, then spoon half of drained cranberries evenly over batter, leaving a 1/2-inch border along sides.
- Top with another third of batter and remaining cranberries, leaving a 1/2-inch border along sides, then cover with remaining batter.
- Bake in middle of oven until golden brown and a tester inserted in center comes out without crumbs, 1 to 1 1/4 hours. Cool cake in pan on a rack 30 minutes.
- Invert cake onto rack. Serve warm or at room temperature.
Cooks’ note: Coffeecake can be made 1 day ahead. Cooled completely, then stored wrapped in foil at room temperature. Optional: warm in a 350°F oven 15 minutes before serving.