Grocery stores are featuring cramberies now, which is a good time to try this quick bread. I like it because of its lack of fat. Oil instead of butter, and only one egg. Making muffins from this batter is also a possibility.
- 1 ¼ cup fresh cranberries
- 1-2 oranges
- 1 egg
- 2 Tbs. oil
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- ¾ cup sugar
- 1 ½ tsp. baking powder
- 1 tsp. salt
- ½ tsp. soda
- ½ -1 cup walnuts, chopped
Preheat oven to 350 degrees and prepare a loaf or muffin pan
- Pulse the cranberries in a food processor and set aside.
- Using a fine grater, grate an orange to obtain 1 tsp. orange peel. Squeeze the juice from the orange to obtain ¾ cup. You may need to use two oranges or substitute purchased orange juice.
- Combine the orange juice, orange peel, the egg and the oil. Stir to blend and set aside.
- Sift the flour, sugar, baking powder, salt, and soda into a mixing bowl.
- Add the walnuts and the chopped fresh cramberries and stir.
- Add the liquid ingredients and mix. (Don’t over mix!)
- Pour batter (it will be rather stiff) into a loaf pan and bake for about 45 minutes.
- Alternatively fill 6 large or 12 regular size muffin tins. They will bake less time – about 35 minutes for large muffins and about 30 minutes for regular size muffins.
Yield: 1 loaf, 6 large or 12 regular size muffins.