Chewy, moist, pretty to look at and delicious, these cookies make good use of your spice drawer!
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- ¼teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon ground ginger
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- ½ teaspoon ground nutmeg
- ¼ teaspoon ground cloves
- ¼ teaspoon ground allspice
- ¾ cups margarine
- 1 cup sugar
- 1 egg
- ¼ cup molasses
- ¼ cup sugar for coating
- In a medium bowl, or sifter, combine the flour, soda baking powder, salt & spices. Set aside.
- Cream margarine and gradually beat in the cup of sugar.
- Add the egg and molasses and mix well.
- Add the flour mixture to the creamed mixture, ½ cup at a time, and mix well after each addition.
- Chill the dough for at least 1 hour.
Pre-heat oven to 375 degrees and prepare 2 baking sheets with parchment paper
- Put the sugar for coating into a small dish. Shape the dough into 1 inch balls and roll in the sugar.
- Place the balls about 2 inches apart on the baking sheets.
- Bake for 10-12 minutes. Leave on baking sheets for a minute and remove to cooling racks.
Yield: Makes about 3 dozen cookies. Becky’s original recipe is twice as big. Doubling the recipe yields about 6 dozen cookies. Perfect for gift giving time or for a crowd.