I have been using this recipe since it appeared in the Sentinel Star, our local newspaper, in 1980. These cookies get harder as they get older and have a very long shelf life. They are delicious and foolproof.
- 4 ½ cups sifted all-purpose flour
- 1 tablespoon cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon ground ginger
- ½ teaspoon ground cloves
- ½ cup unsalted butter
- ½ cup firmly packed brown sugar
- 1 egg
- 1 cup molasses
- 2 teaspoons. vinegar
- Sift together flour, cinnamon, salt, soda, ginger, and cloves; set aside.
- Cream butter until softened. Add brown sugar and cream until light and fluffy. Beat in egg.
- Gradually add molasses and vinegar.
- Stir in dry ingredients to mix.
- Divide the dough into three balls, flatten them and wrap them with plastic wrap.
- Refrigerate the disks for 3 hours or over-night.
Pre-heat oven to 350 degrees and prepare 2 baking sheets with parchment paper
- On a lightly floured surface, roll out the disks to 1/8” thickness and cut with a gingerbread men form.
- Decorate men’s mouths with a dried cranberry and his eyes and buttons with raisins.
- Get someone you love to help you!!!!