I like this salad in the fall. It can be part of a meal or served as a fancy side salad. The orange balsamic vinaigrette is a good choice as it blends in well with the figs and counter-balances the prosciutto.
- Prosciutto, sliced paper-thin
- Thinly sliced red onion
- Spring lettuce mix
- Orange balsamic vinaigrette (click for link)
- Turn on oven to 350 degrees and using a small skillet or oven proof dish, begin toasting the walnuts. Walnuts will be ready to take out when the correct temperature is reach and, hopefully, the oven beeps for you to take them out!
- Meantime, wash and cut figs in 4 pieces or more if figs are large. They need to be “bite size”.
- Shred or cut prosciutto into small pieces.
- Slice the red onion very thinly with a food processor.
- Place the lettuce in the salad bowl and top with the walnuts, figs, prosciutto, and onion.
- Drizzle dressing over salad and serve
Note: This salad can be made as “salade composée” dressing the lettuce first and then placing it on individual plates and then “composing” the salad for each diner by adding the other 4 ingredients to sit pretty on the plate.