These cookies have just the right balance-crunchy, light, buttery but not greasy. Adapted from a recipe which appeared in the June, 1999 issue of Bon Appétite
- ¾ unsalted butter, room temp
- 2/3 cup sugar
- 2 tablespoons finely grated lemon peel
- 1 large egg, room temp
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- added sugar for cookie tops
- Beat butter in a large bowl until light.
- Beat in sugar and lemon peel.
- Add egg, vanilla, & salt. Beat until well blended.
- Add flour, 1 cup at a time, beating just until blended after each addition.
- Gather dough into a ball & divide in half.
- Place one ball at a time on a lightly floured piece of wax paper & top with another piece of waxed paper.
- Roll dough to a 1/8”thickness. Place in refrigerator for 2 hours. to overnight.
Pre-heat oven to 375 degrees & prepare two baking sheets with parchment paper
- Remove the cookie dough from the refrigerator one sheet at a time.
- Cut out cookies using a 1 ½”or 2 ¾”cookie cutter. Reserve scraps & return to refrigerator. Place cookies on the prepared baking sheets ½”apart.
- Sprinkle sugar on top of cookies before baking.
- Repeat with second sheet of dough.
- Knead the scraps together and cut them out placing them on a third baking sheet.*
- Bake cookie until golden brown around the edges, about 8-10 minutes.
- Transfer cookies to cooling racks.
Yield: 24-36 depending on the cookie cutter size