This shortbread variation has the added sweetness of pecans and the cornstarch keeps them light.
- 1 ½ cups all-purpose flour
- ½ cup sugar
- ¼ cup cornstarch
- 4 teaspoons grated lemon zest
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- ¾ cup unsalted butter,
- chilled, cut into ½ inch pieces
- ½ teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 cup pecans
Pre-heat oven to 350 degrees and prepare 2 baking sheets with parchment paper
- In a food processor with metal blade, combine flour, sugar, cornstarch, lemon zest, and salt.
- Process briefly until well mixed.
- Add the butter and vanilla and pulse the mixture until it resembles a fine meal.
- Add pecans and process until finely chopped.
- Gather dough and roll out to a disk 3/16” thick between two sheets of wax paper.
- Using a heart-shaped cookie cutter, cut out cookies saving scraps.
- Gather up scraps and roll cookies out again.
- Bake until just beginning to color, about 13 minutes.
- Transfer baking sheets to racks and cool for about 5 minutes.
- Transfer cookies to continue cooling on racks.
Store cookies in an airtight container at room temperature for up to 1 week.