A standard American cookie, with many variations to be found. The one thing all Ranger Cookies have in common is crispy cereal – Rice Krispies, Special K, etc., oatmeal, and shredded coconut. Chocolate chips, raisins, various nuts, round out the recipe. This particular version is adapted from Gourmet. Great for the lunchbox!!!
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- ½ teaspoon. baking powder
- ½ tsp. salt
- 1 cup vegetable shortening
- 1 cup sugar
- 1 cup packed light brown sugar
- 3 large eggs
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 2 cups rolled oats
- 2 cups Rice Krispies
- 12 ounce bag chocolate chips
- 1 cup flaked coconut
Pre-heat oven to 350 degrees and prepare 2 baking sheets with parchment paper
- Sift together flour, baking soda, baking powder, and salt and set aside.
- Beat together shortening, sugars, eggs, and vanilla extract until light and fluffy on medium speed with an electric mixer.
- Reduce speed to low and add the flour mixture.
- With a wooden spoon, stir in the oats, chocolate chips, and coconut.
- Drop rounded tablespoon of batter 2 inches apart on the baking sheets.
Yield: 50 3”cookies