These cookies have been a tremendous hit with friends and neighbors and are really delicious. They are from Bon Appétit, February, 1998. Click on the link for the original recipe
- 1 cup slivered almonds
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- ½ teaspoon. baking soda
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- ½ cup + 2 tablespoon unsalted butter, room temp.
- ½ cup sugar
- ½ cup dark brown sugar
- 1 large egg
- 1 tsp. vanilla extract
- ½ tsp. almond extract
- 1 cup old-fashioned oats
- 1 ½ cups semisweet chocolate chips
- 1 cup dried tart cherries
Pre-heat oven to 350 degrees and prepare 2 baking sheets with parchment paper
- Use a small heavy skillet, over low heat to toast the almonds for about 5 minutes.
- Sift the flour, baking soda, and salt onto a bowl and set aside.
- In a bowl, measure out the oats, the chocolate chips, and the cherries. Add the cooled almonds and set aside.
- Beat the butter and sugars with an electric beater until light and fluffy.
- Add the vanilla and almond extracts and egg. Beat to blend scrapping the sides of the bowl.
- Add the flour mixture and mix to blend.
- Stir in the reserved oats, chocolate chips, cherries, and almonds.
- Drop by rounded tablespoons onto the prepared baking sheets.
- Bake for 15 minutes or so until the cookies are golden and seem set.
Yield: 2 dozen+ 3 inch cookies