This recipe is from Fine Cooking Magazine, May, 2005 and the cookies are soft and chewy, with a texture reminiscent of lady fingers. They work just as well as single cookies, without making them into jam sandwich cookies.
- 1 ½ cups all-purpose flour
- ½ teaspoon salt
- ¼ teaspoon baking powder
- ¾ cup unsalted butter, room temp
- 1 ¼ cups sugar
- 1 ½ tsp. vanilla extract
- 2 large eggs
Pre-heat oven to 375 degrees and line two baking sheets with parchment and arrange oven racks in the middle of the oven.
- Mix the flour, salt, baking powder and set aside.
- In a medium size bowl, beat the butter and sugar until light and fluffy.
- Add the vanilla extract and eggs and continue beating until well blended.
- Add the flour mixture and mix on low-speed until well blended, about 30 seconds.
- Using a 1 tablespoon cookie scoop drop on cookie sheets 3” apart. The cookies spread!
- Carefully place the baking sheets into the oven. These cookies tend to travel.
- Bake until golden brown, about 10-12 minutes.
- Set the baking sheet on cooling rack and cool on the rack for about 5 minutes before transferring them to cooling racks.
- When cookies are totally cooled, match up the cookies as to size and shape and then spread jam on one cookie and top with another one.