They are a very old-fashioned Southern cookie that my mother used to make. They are probably the easiest cookies to make, bar none!
- 1 cup butter, at room temperature
- 1 ½ cups sugar
- 2 eggs
- ½ teaspoon vanilla
- 2 ¾ cups flour
- 2 teaspoons cream of tartar
- 1 teaspoons baking soda
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- 3 tablespoons sugar
- 1 tablespoon cinnamon
Pre-heat oven to 400 degrees and prepare 2 baking sheets with parchment paper
- Bring butter to room temperature.
- In a large mixing bowl, mix butter, sugar, eggs, and vanilla for about 1 minute, until well blended.
- Combine flour, cream of tartar, soda, and salt and add to the bowl.
- Mix well scraping the bowl and blending as needed.
- Mix the 3 tablespoons of sugar with the cinnamon in a small bowl.
- Shape dough by rounded teaspoons and drop in the sugar mixture to coat.
- Place dough about 2”apart on ungreased cookie sheet.
- Bake 8-10 minutes until cookies are set and have a “cracked” appearance on top.
- Remove immediately onto cookie rack & cool. Cookies will be crisp, not chewy, with a golden brown appearance.
Yield: 4 dozen cookies