Crystallized ginger is not available in all supermarkets, but searching it out is well worth the effort. These cookies are very good and keep well.
- 1 ½ cups all-purpose flour
- ¾ teaspoon baking powder
- ½ teaspoon salt
- 1 cup unsalted butter at room temp
- 1 cup firmly packed light brown sugar
- 1 large egg yolk
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- ½ cup finely chopped crystallized ginger
- ¼ teaspoon ground ginger
Pre-heat oven and prepare two baking sheets with parchment paper
- In a small bowl, sift together the dry flour, baking powder, & salt.
- In a bowl, cream the butter and the brown sugar until light and fluffy.
- Add the egg yolk, vanilla, crystallized ginger and ground ginger. Mix well.
- Add the dry ingredients and mix until well combined.
- Drop by teaspoons onto the baking sheets about 3 inches apart. Bake for 10-12 minutes until golden.
- Let the cookies cool on the sheets for 5 minutes and then transfer them with a metal spatula to racks to cool completely.
Yield: 2 ½ dozen cookies