These spice cookies have a very subtle spice flavor without a hint of either cinnamon or ginger. They are very simple to make and keep well for several days…only getting better as the slight soda taste fades.
- 2 cups flour
- ½ teaspoon baking soda
- ½ teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- ½ teaspoon ginger
- 1 cup butter, softened
- 1 cup sugar
- ½ teaspoon vanilla
- 1 egg
- ½ cup buttermilk*
*(substitute ½ cup milk with 1 ½ teaspoons vinegar)
Pre-heat oven to 375 degrees and prepare 2 baking sheets with parchment paper
- Sift together first 5 ingredients.
- In a large bowl, stir butter and sugar until blended, then add vanilla, egg, and buttermilk. Blend.
- Stir in dry ingredients.
- Drop dough by rounded tablespoons about 2 inches apart unto and ungreased baking sheet.
- Bake 9-11 minutes or until no indentation remains when touched in center. The cookies will not flatten but have a rounded, domed appearance.
- Transfer to racks and cool. Cookies remain soft and chewy for days.
Yield: 2 ½ dozen cookies