This is a bed & breakfast recipe… Not only is one of the rooms in Johnstad’s Bed and Breakfast named “The Fjord Room,” but the Nordic connection of Ron and Mary Ellen reveals itself in conversations around the table, in the music sung around the family piano, and in the recipes shared with guests. These recipes have been tried, tested, and proven to be favorites of the family for numerous years. They are shared with pride. This recipe is from Ron’s mother. Johnstad’s Bed & Breakfast and Log Guest Cabin, Emigrant, Montana. These really count as “unusual” and unusually good.
- ½ cup sugar
- ½ cup butter
- 1 scant cup flour
- 1 ½ cups oatmeal
- ¼ cup sour milk (or buttermilk)
- ½ teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 pound chopped dates,
- 1 cup brown sugar,
- 1/2 cup water.
Cook the filling in a heavy boiler over medium to low heat until thick, ( about 20 min.)
Preheat oven to 375 degrees and prepare two baking sheets with parchment paper
- Cream the butter and sugar.
- Dissolve the baking soda in milk and mix. Add oatmeal and the flour.
- Put dough on a well floured surface and roll out very thin.
- Cut with a round cookie cutter. Bake for six minutes or until they turn light brown.
- Spread the filling between two of the cookies.
Yield: 1 ½ dozen cookies