Fast, fun and easy this simple little spice cookie would be great with fruit or vanilla ice cream. This recipe is adapted from Gourmet Magazine, Feb. 2004
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- ½ teaspoon cinnamon
- ½ teaspoon ground cardamom
- ¼ teaspoon ground black pepper
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- ½ teaspoon baking soda
- 6 tablespoons. unsalted butter, softened
- 6 tablespoons sugar
- 2 teaspoon molasses
Pre-heat oven to 350 degrees and prepare baking sheet with parchment paper
- Sift the flour, cinnamon, cardamom, pepper, salt, and baking soda into a bowl and set aside.
- Beat the butter and sugar with an electric mixer until light and fluffy, about 3-4 minutes.
- Add the molasses, stir.
- Add the dry ingredients in two additions blending well with each. The dough will be crumbly.
- Roll level teaspoons of dough into balls, then press them into little pancakes about 1 ½” in diameter and place them on the baking sheet.
- Using a fork which has been dipped in flour, make a crisscross shape on top of each cookie.
- Bake for about 10-12 minutes and transfer on a rack to cool.
Yield: About 2 dozen 2” cookies