From Better Homes and Gardens, my standby peanut butter cookie through the years.
- 1 ½ cups all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon soda
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- 1 cup shortening
- 1 cup sugar
- 1 cup brown sugar
- 1 egg
- ½ teaspoon vanilla
- ½ cup peanut butter
Pre-heat the oven to 350 degrees and prepare a baking sheet with parchment paper
- Sift the flour, soda, and salt into a bowl and set aside.
- Cream shortening and sugars until light and fluffy, about 3 minutes.
- Add the egg and beat until smooth scrapping the sides of the bowl with a spatula.
- Add the peanut butter and cream the mixture until smooth.
- Add the flour in two additions scrapping the sides of the bowl with a spatula until incorporated.
- Roll a rounded teaspoon piece of dough into a ball and place on the prepared pan.
- Using the tines of a fork that has been dipped in flour, flatten the cookie in a crisscross fashion.
- Bake for 10-12 minutes. Leave cookies on the pan for about 5 minutes before removing them onto a cooling rack.
Yield: 4 dozen cookies.