I wanted to have savory biscuits in my repertoire, so I searched my cookbooks and surfed the net for ideas. This particular recipe works well, as everything you bake from King Arthurs Flour tends to do. Click on the link if you want to see what other recipes you might like.
The biscuits are called “wine biscuits” because wine is one of the ingredients and they do go well will wine. I used a small cookie cutter to make the biscuits so you could take a few at a time and pop them in your mouth!
- 2 ½ cups all-purpose flour
- 2 teaspoons coarsely ground black pepper
- ¼ cup sugar
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 2 teaspoon baking powder
- ½ cup + 2 tablespoons red wine
- ¼ cup vegetable oil
- In a medium bowl combine the flour, pepper, sugar, salt, & baking powder.
- In another bowl whisk the wine and vegetable oil together.
- Mix the liquid ingredients into the dry ingredients and beat until the mixture if smooth.
- Refrigerate for 1 hour or overnight.
Pre-heat oven to 350 degrees and prepare two baking sheets with parchment paper
- Roll the dough to a ¼” thickness and cut into shapes, such as stars.
- Place on parchment paper lined baking sheets and bake for about 20-25 minutes until they are a rich red-brown.
- The wine biscuits will keep in an airtight container for several weeks.