From Gourmet, May 1998, the cookies are from England and are said to be enjoyed with a drop of Madeira. They are super easy to make and bake.
- 1 ¾ cups all-purpose flour
- ¾ cup unsalted butter, room temp
- 2/3 cup sugar
- ½ teaspoon salt
- 1 ½ teaspoon vanilla extract
- ½ cup raisins or currants
- Beat butter, sugar, salt, and the vanilla extract in a large bowl until light and fluffy.
- Add flour and raisins and mix until smooth.
- Divide the dough in half and shape into logs 1 ½” diameter.
- Wrap each log in plastic wrap.
- Refrigerate until firm, about 2 hours and up to 3 days.
Pre-heat oven to 375 degrees and prepare baking sheets with parchment paper
- Cut each dough log into slices ¼” thick and place them onto the prepared baking sheets.
- Bake until cookies are golden, about 10 minutes.
- Cool slightly on baking sheets and transfer to rack to cool.
Yield: About 2 dozen