From William Sonoma “The Kid’s Cookbook” they are a snap to make, and they have no eggs.
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 cup unsalted butter,
- 2/3 cup sugar
- pinch of salt
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- ½ cup chopped pecans
- Sift two cups of sugar and set aside.
- In a large bowl, combine the butter, sugar, salt, and vanilla. Beat the mixture until it is smooth.
- Add the flour and in two additions scrapping the sides down with a spatula each time.
- Add the nuts.
- Pick the dough up and knead it slightly.
- Divide the dough and shape it into a log about 2” in diameter.
- Wrap the log in the plastic wrap and refrigerate until firm, about 3 hour and up to 3 days.
Pre-heat oven to 350 degrees and prepare a baking sheet with parchment paper
- Place dough on a cutting board and using a sharp knife, cut the log into ¼” slices.
- Arrange the slices on the baking sheet about 1” apart. Bake for about 14-16 minutes.
- Remove cookies and set on a cooling rack to cool completely.
- Repeat with a cooled baking sheet until all the cookies are baked.
Yield: About 4 dozen cookies