These are super rich, flaky butter cookies not only by virtue of the butter but also the egg yolks. They are from the manufacture’s web site.
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- ½ teaspoon baking powder
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- 1-8 ounce package of Kerrygold Pure Irish butter, at room temperature
- 2/3 granulated sugar
- 2 large egg yolks
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 large egg white
- 1/3 cup coarse sugar crystals
- Pecan or walnut halves
- Sift together flour, baking powder and salt ans set aside.
- Beat together butter and sugar in a bowl at medium speed until light and fluffy, about 2-3 minutes.
- Add egg yolks and vanilla and beat until combined.
- Reduce speed to low and add flour mixture, mixing until just combined.
- Divide dough into 2 equal pieces and form into a log about 1 ½” n diameter and 7 ½” long.
- Chill until very firm, at least and hour or over-night.
Pre-heat oven to 325 degrees and line two baking sheets with parchment paper
- Beat egg white with a fork until foamy.
- Brush egg over the cookie log. Place the coarse sugar crystals on a piece of wax or parchment paper and press log into the sugar pressing well.
- Cut the each log into ¼” slices. Place an almond or half a pecan or walnut on top and arrange cookies about 1”apart.
- Bake one sheet at a time until cookie edges and bottoms are light brown, about 18 minutes.
- Cool on baking sheet for about 5 minutes and transfer to wire rack to cool completely.