Using the basic butter cookie recipe from Gourmet as a base, these lemon cookies are easy and satisfying
- 2 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
- 1 tablespoon lemon zest
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- ½ teaspoon baking powder
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- ¾ cup unsalted butter
- 1 cup sugar
- 1 large egg
- ½ teaspoon vanilla extract
- Grate the peel of a lemon to make 1 tablespoon then cut the lemon in half and extract the juice. (You may need to use two lemons if they are small or not very fresh)Set aside.
- Sift the flour, baking powder, and salt into a small bowl and set aside.
- Beat together butter and sugar in a large bowl until pale and fluffy – about 3 minutes in a standing mixer and 6 minutes with a handheld.
- Beat it egg and vanilla.
- Reduce the speed to low and add flour mixture. Mix until just combined.
- Scrape down the dough in the bowl and set in refrigerator for about 20-30 minutes.
- Form dough into a 12 inch log about 2 inches in diameter and roll in plastic wrap.
- Chill dough for at least 4 hours. Cookie logs can remain in the refrigerator up to 5 days and if double wrapped in the freezer up to a month.
Pre-heat oven to 375 degrees and prepare two baking sheets with parchment paper
- Cut logs into 1/8 inch slices and place 1 inch apart on baking sheets. Bake 6-8 minutes
or into ¼ inch slices and place 2 inches apart on baking sheets. Bake 8-10 minutes
- Cool on baking sheets for about 3 minutes before transferring them to cooling rack.