From Gourmet Magazine. A fun winter project to pair up with roasted, pork, or curry dishes
- 1 lb quinces, cut in 1/3”cubes
- 1 ½ cups apple cider
- 1 ½ cups chopped red onion
- ½ cup apple cider vinegar
- ½ cup light brown sugar
- ½ cup currants
- ¼ cup minced peeled ginger
- 2 tsp grated orange peel
- 1 whole star anise
- 1 tsp mustard seeds
- ½ tsp dried crushed red pepper
- ½ tsp ground cardamom
- 1/8 tsp salt
- Peel and cut up the quinces making sure to take out the bitter seed pod. Cut into small pieces.
- Peel and chop the ginger, grate the orange peel, and mash-up the red pepper.
- Mix all ingredients in heavy large saucepan. Bring to boil and then reduce the heat to medium low and simmer for about 45 minutes, stirring often, until almost all liquid is absorbed.
- Discard the star anise.
- Chill. The chutney is better laid to rest a few days before using.
Note: This recipe makes 2 ½ cups. Doubling the recipe makes a nice “run” of canned chutney.