This cake has no flour or butter in it!
- 2 large oranges
- 5 eggs
- 2 ½ cups of slivered almonds
- 1 cup sugar
- 1 tsp baking powder
- confectioners’ sugar, sifted, to dust
- Lightly grease a 9”springform pan and line the base with baking paper.
- Finely grind almonds in a food processor and place in a small bowl with the cup of sugar and the teaspoon of baking powder. Set it aside.
- Set out the eggs as they are best beaten at room temperature.
- Scrub the oranges under warm running water to remove any wax coating from the skins. Put the whole oranges in a saucepan, cover with water and boil for 1 hour.
- Remove from the water and set aside to cool. Using a plate to catch any juice, cut the cooled oranges into quarters and remove any seeds.
- Place the orange quarters, skin and all, in a food processor and blend until they turn to a pulp.
Pre-heat oven to 350 degrees
- Beat eggs in a large bowl with electric beaters until light and fluffy.
- Carefully incorporate the dry ingredients into the eggs with a large whisk.
- Incorporate the orange pulp in the same manner and mix to combine.
- Pour the cake batter into the pan and cook for 1 hour.
- Cool in the pan before turning out onto a wire rack to cool completely.
- Dust with confectiners’ sugar.
Note: Optional, as shown in the picture, spoon some thinned out blackberry preserves on the cake and top with added blackberries